Thursday 22 September 2016

Scenes from my kayak - a week later but still drifting around Leacock

I am back from being away! 6 days and 600 images from the far east - Gatineau PQ

That will not be posted as a diary for a long time. Many memories.

No. Today I wish to begin sharing some rather poignant encounters I had with birds that had a choice to share space with me as I drifted around in a contemplative mood. This is becoming an issue with me and yesterday I read that one's behavior very much depended on the language one was using. For nearly 40 formative years I spoke German from the outside. Now for the past 6 years I have been speaking English but again from the outside of a society that I have trouble recognizing after being away from Ontario so long. If anyone is interested, the article is from Scientific American.

This bird "stood out" yesterday. She is a kingfisher, rather striking.


Looks almost like a flag, doesn't she.
I just sat back and let the kayak drift slowly toward her. We both had the patience of fisherfolk.

The next encounter was with a pair of mergansers. Last week there were 3, this week 2 that I could see. I am dressed the same - yellow life preserver or PFD or something, despicable Tilly hat that I really ought to wash before it strangles me in an act of self protection. (Thanks, Jens, for showing me "Despicable Me" to keep me awake after an overnight flight in Nov 2014!)

Note that the birds swim about, climb on a rock and preen without any regard for me. I like being accepted as a bump on a log as it were.








This sequence was interrupted by an encounter of the 3rd kind which I may post at another time - I should have videoed it because I don't think that this behavior is all that common - for me unique, but that need not mean much.

No comments:

Post a Comment